Vegan Chickpea Curry with Sweet Potatoes and Kale
Updated: Feb 17, 2019
Finally sharing one of my most requested recipes to-date! The first time I made it, I went a bit heavy on the chilli powder and the next day, it was nearly inedible! However, I fixed all my measurements and mastered the art of a subtle spice haha.
To be honest, this was the first curry I ever made. In fact, I only first tried curry about 2 years ago - when I first moved to England. Indian food is a staple here in the UK, which is amazing because it wasn't something I was exposed to back in New York.
However, a curry quickly became synonymous with comfort and warmth, as they utilize all my favorite warming spices (cumin, turmeric, chilli powder, ginger, cinnamon). So, I decided to create my own with my favorite fall ingredients: chickpeas, sweet potatoes and kale.
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes or Slow Cooker (low 6-7 hours, high 3-4 hours)
Yield: ~3 Servings
1 15oz. Can Chickpeas, Rinsed and Drained
1 15oz. + Can Chopped Tomatoes
1 15oz. Can Coconut Milk
1 White Onion, Chopped Fine
1 Large Sweet Potato, Cubed
3 Cups Kale, De-stemmed and Chopped
1 Tbs. Olive Oil
2 Tbs. Tomato Paste
2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
1-inch Cube Ginger, Minced
2 Tbs. Garam Masala
1 tsp. Cumin
1 tsp. Turmeric
1 tsp. Chili Powder (more if needed)
1/2 Cup + 1/4 Cup Cilantro (Coriander), Chopped
Juice of 1 Lime
Salt and Pepper To Taste
Stove Top Directions:
1. Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Once hot, add onions and sauté until they become translucent.
2. Add garlic and ginger, and stir until fragrant.
3. Add sweet potatoes, tomato paste, chopped tomatoes, and garam masala, stir to incorporate. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring consistently.
4. Add chickpeas, coconut milk, cumin, turmeric, chili powder, salt and pepper. Bring to boil and then reduce to a simmer and let cook for 30 minutes, stirring consistently.
5. Add kale and 1/2 cup chopped cilantro and stir to incorporate. Taste for spice adjustments
6. Cook for an additional 20 minutes.
7. Add the lime juice and top with remaining cilantro before serving!
1. Add all ingredients (except Kale, 1/4 cup cilantro and lime) into the crockpot and set on low for 6-7 hours or high for 3-4 hours. Omit olive oil form the recipe.
2. Before serving, add the juice of 1 lime + kale and stir until kale is softened. The, garnish with 1/4 cup chopped cilantro and serve!
I recommend serving the curry over brown rice, topped with sliced avocado :)
This is a great meal prep idea for the winter as well! Try it in an instant cooker too!