All good chefs claim their best recipes were accidental (at least I think I've heard that somewhere...). Well this recipe was completely unintentional, but I am damn happy it happened haha.
I originally set out to make my chickpea meatballs - adding my chickpeas, parsley, basil and nutritional yeast into the food processor. I then went to grab some eggs from the fridge, only to find that I had none left (typical me haha). To be honest, I was definitely pissed off at first. But then I tasted the mixture and thought about where I could go from here. So, I added garlic powder, some chilli flakes, a dash of dried oregano, some more basil, more nutritional yeast and pulsed with olive oil until I got the most dreamy pesto hummus in the world!
I put the hummus on a flat bread and topped it with sautéed spinach, slice avocado and a runny egg . I realize you can't really see the pesto too well, but this is the only picture I have until I make it again haha
- 1-15 oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and dried
- 2 TBS nutritional yeast
- 1 TBS garlic powder
- 1/2 cup packed large fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup packed flat leaf parsley
- 1 TBS dried oregano
- 2 tsp red chilli flakes
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil until desired consistency
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse and Dry chickpeas
- Add chickpeas + all dry ingredients into the food processor
- Drizzle in EVOO until you have the desired hummus consistency (may need to scrape sides down with spatula halfway through)
Such a simple and easy recipe! Plus it is dairy free, gluten free and vegan for those with specific dietary needs!